Charles Julian Clarke and his main draftsman, Arthur Loomis became partners in 1891. By that time, Clarke was one of Louisville’s leading architects, and, as a member of the Western Association of Architects, he was very familiar with H.H. Richardson’s architecture. Clarke and his younger partner, who came to Louisville from Massachusetts in the 1880’s, made good use of Richardsonian Romanesque in this five-story commercial building at the prominent location of Third and Market Streets, which their clients, the Levy Brothers, had purchased for their clothing store. The reddish-yellow brick construction, with red terra-cotta details that articulate the arches, windows, stringcourses, cornice, and tower made for a stylish building that attracted the attention of men and boys who sought fashionable attire. The corner tower pulls together the two exuberant facades, the floors of which are indicated by a variety of window sizes, forms, and treatments, including loggias, which create lively fronts on both streets. On the interior, the pressed metal, coffered ceilings, mixed capitals, and hardwood floors have survived many uses since the Levy Brothers closed their doors in 1979. The apartments on the upper floors retain the original paneling with cornices, elaborate cast-iron stair balustrades, and light fixtures. This was one of the first electrified buildings in Louisville. The structure has housed the Old Spaghetti Factory on the first floor and mezzanine since it was renovated in 1984 for the restaurant and businesses and apartments above. Strings of lights decorate the building year-round. When one has been drinking too much, the boozer is sometimes said to be “lit up like Levy’s.” Louisville Guide. Princeton Architectural Press. 2004.